I have been a freelance scientific and medical copy-editor since 2003. In 2006, when a client and I were both disappointed with the standard of work from the typesetter that they had engaged, I thought that surely I could do a better job myself. So I proposed to that client that I would immediately invest in the necessary software and training with the aim of doing the typesetting of their next book. They trusted me enough to accept this proposal, and I have since gone on to typeset more than 20 of their subsequent books.
I grew up in South Africa where I obtained a BSc Chemistry degree from the University of Cape Town. I then worked at a nuclear power station for six years in a variety of roles, including, at age 24, a year as the acting head of the Radiochemistry Department.
In 1998 the opportunity arose to move to the UK and I changed career to scientific, technical and medical (STM) publishing, where I held the following positions:
- Editorial Assistant, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology and Pesticide Science (Society of Chemical Industry, London)
- Editor, The UK Biotechnology Directory and The European Biotechnology Directory (PJB Publications, London)
- Publications Editor (Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, London)
- Editorial Office Manager, British Journal of Cancer (Cancer Research UK, London)
Since 2008, I have been the Executive Editor of the journal School Science Review, which is published by the Association for Science Education (ASE). I also do all the typesetting of this quarterly full-colour journal.
In 2016, I moved from the UK to Australia (near Melbourne), possibly permanently. I am continuing to provide my services to my established UK client base. The timezone difference between Australia and Europe is frequently proving to be an advantage for both parties when next-day turnaround is required. Enquiries from Australian clients are also welcome.
- Early music: playing the harpsichord, viola da gamba (bass viol) and baroque cello in small ensembles and in a large amateur baroque orchestra that I co-founded in 2002 in London; in Melbourne I perform frequently on harpsichord with various chamber music ensembles and orchestras.
- Digital photography: landscape and property photography, and image optimisation in Photoshop
- Motorcycle touring